Monday, April 1, 2024

#46 - Easter and dancing in the moonlight!🐇🎵 (4/1/24)

¡Buenos tardes! ¿Como estais? Desculpe vou falar em português e inglês, somente está semana atrás encontrei algumas pessoas da Venezuela e precisava hablar español um pouco! [Good afternoon! How are you? Sorry, I'm going to speak in Portuguese and English, just a week ago I met some people from Venezuela and I needed to speak some Spanish!]

Pday at a park
There were Capybara (largest rodent in the world) on the side of the road and in the water.

Hey guys! Happy Easter (feliz Páscoa!) What did you guys do to celebrate? Anybody dye eggs or get a raw egg smashed on their head? Let me tell you, its gross🤣(thanks Doss!)

But im here to relate about this first week here in Boa Vista Jardim Osasco! And first things first, being here with 2 Brazilians and an American who doesn't know portuguese is hilarious. I am pretty much a living breathing google translator😆

But anywho, here are some of the highlights:

Monday - Arrived in Boa Visita Jardim Osasco with my new trainee: Elder Black. Training again in an area that neither Elder Black and I know but its gonna be awesome! Highlights of getting here was finding a pot of old, moldy black beans in the backyard (threw that out) and having dogs howl like wolfs at night. Don't worry, I was able to fall asleep!

Templo de Curitiba

Tuesday - First day of work! Majority of this week we were getting to know the area and looking for people who are progressing or already went to church. We also got... drum roll... A MEMBER MEAL!! (Its been so long!🥹) When we got to the member meal they put on a movie titled "The Returned Missionary" and all I will say is that I need to finish that movie when I get back home, 10 out of 10! While walking and getting to know Elder Black he told me that missionaries in the United States get Subway for free so my fellow missionaries in the States... is that true? If so, lucky! We then ended the day going to the temple with our ward and recent converts. They asked Elder Black and I to baptize if they needed us and we went up baptizing so I officially got to see my son baptize already! All the men baptized about 3 people and then the session coordinator had me baptize like 6 people, who are all bigger than me! Let's just say, I got my workout for the night!🤣

Temple trip with the ward!

Pizza at the temple

Wednesday - Today we had our mission devocional about the document: "The Living Christ". My biggest take away was the final testimony, that He Lives! I remember reading a conference talk that said if in biblical terms, without Christmas we lose a little in Luke and Matthew but without Easter, we lose the entire New Testament! I know that Christ lives and because of him, we will all be resurrected with a perfect body and that death isn't the end. We also talked with our Bishop, Bishop Cristoni and he told us how we are like the shepards bringing the sheep home but then once people are members, they are like the Prodigal son. We will help them when they come back but they have the agency to choose. 

Thursday - Today was just kinda funny. I went to use the microwave and found coxinhas (a brazilian food) in the microwave! Couldn't help but laugh. I also taught Elder Black how to flick matchs and now he is addicted (my bad...) and finally after 6 months, I GOT PIZZA 20! Pizza 20 is a pizza shop in Curitiba that sells pizza for 20 reais (4 dollars) and it is pretty good!

Pizza night with Elders Silva and Lopez, plus new comp, Elder Black

Friday - I hit 10 months!! Honestly didn't do to much to celebrate because I was working but I did make the realization that my ties are sun bleached!

Sun bleached tie

Saturday - While cleaning the church today, a couple from the church arrived and I got to meet our "mission mom", Raquel! She always gives the Elders hugs and is really funny! She started to ask me all sorts of questions like where I am from, what I did at college, did I have a girlfriend, how long have I been on the mission. The light of Christ just shines from her! (She was also the lady cheering me on while I baptizing a lot in the temple XD). While confirming people for church, we found someone driving by who is from New York! His name is Luis and he has interest in the Church! We also found a pokemon car here and had our investigator Alexandra give us a "haunted house tour" of her home. I was kinda scared ngl!

Pokemon car!

Lunch with bishops wife

Sunday - I get to direct a van again and we brought 2 people to church! (it was 3 but Alexandra up and left in the middle of the meeting, I hope she got home okay) But to celebrate Easter, we had lunch with Bishop and some other members who ended up giving us chocolate eggs as big as my head! But the highlight was directing the van after church when the bus driver turned the radio on and "Dancing in the moonlight" came on! May or may not have freaked out XD!

Eggs with bishop!

Egg

Driving the van

Someone fell asleep while driving 😆

Honestly was a very special, especially with the chance to celebrate the death and resurrection of Christ. Christ truly took upon himself all of our afflictions, griefs, sorrows, challenges, even death, so that we wouldn't have to. So that we can have peace in this world. We we truly indebted to him. If you have time, I invite all of you to read more about his sacrifice (Mosiah 14-16, Alma 7)

Bomberman?! [Mom note: one of our fam's fave games to play together]

I love you all and I love our Savior for his Atonement and limitless, perfect love he has for us. He knows us, He knows you, and He Lives!

Barbie doll!

Ate o proximo!

-Elder Fisher!